Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Legacy We Leave



When my father was dying there was a constant theme of concern.  The concern that he had left no impact on this world.  That it wouldn't matter to anyone when he was gone.  That his disease, schizophrenia, had striped away any and all opportunities to contribute to society.  This was heartbreaking.  I spent so many nights whispering into his ear the things that he should and could be proud of.  It felt as though he just couldn't let go towards the end because this wasn't resolved.

I knew then that I could not let my Dad's story die with him.  I made a promise to him and to myself that I would use his story to make a difference.  I hope I can do that in many ways; by sharing our story, by advocating for those with mental illness, by working to break the stigma and by creating the memorial fund that will serve children with mental illness.  This will be my father's mark on the world and I trust he will know.

I am not a religious person, but I am spiritual.  I feel his presence when I run, so I keep running.  I never ran before Dad passed away.  It was as though something came over me.  He would give anything to be alive of sound body and mind so he could run marathons and enjoy life.  I felt I should no longer take my sound mind and body for granted.

Life seems shorter than it ever has before.  My Dad was gone, the first major loss of my lifetime.  I don't want to waste time anymore saying, "I will do that someday".  So, now I seize the moment.  So many people I love have been touched by major mental illness.  As we now know, it runs in families, so this doesn't come as much of surprise.  Mental Illness is a genetic, organic disorder of the brain.  I hope to spend my life sharing my story and advocating for a cause very dear to me.


This week is Mental Illness Awareness Week.  I am doing a fundraiser for the memorial fund serving children with mental illness.  $10 on October 10th!   Follow the link to make a donation and a difference in the lives of children with mental illness.  Tell your friends, family and co-workers.  A lot of people making small gestures of love can have a huge impact.  Please join me!  This is an ongoing fundraiser, so if you find us after the 10th and still want to spread some love...it will be much appreciated.

https://www.crowdrise.com/-blainegoffmemorialfund 

No comments:

Post a Comment